Thomas George Ross (1845 - 1896)
Father of Percy and son of Thomas, five times Mayor.
18th March 1893
Mr T.G.Ross of Tudor House, St Helens Road has, we regret to say been very ill for the last six weeks. We are glad to state however that he is now progressing favourably.
25th March 1893
At the annual meeting of the local Steamboat Proprietors the Chairman referred in terms of regret to the absence due to illness of co-director Mr T.G.Ross. I am glad to be able to report that Mr Ross is now sufficiently recovered to take outdoor exercise. On one or two days he was reduced to such a state of prostration that his life was almost despaired of. Keen sympathy was felt for him and many enquiries as to his condition were made at Tudor House.
The Hastings and St Leonards Observer on 15th February 1896 reported :
We regret to have to record the death of Mr Thomas George Ross, of Tudor House, St. Helens Road, which sad event occurred suddenly Saturday last, at his residence, at the age of 51 years, from heart disease.
The deceased gentleman had been confined to his home a considerable time, and had been a great sufferer. He was the son of the late Mr Thomas Ross, whom many of our older readers will remember was Mayor of Hastings for five times, Justice of the Peace, etc.
Mr T. G. Ross was one of the Hastings Pier Directors for some years, but, owing to ill-health, had to relinquish that position a year or two ago. Some little time after the Pier was opened Mr Ross, as a shareholder, suggested the holding of dramatic entertainments and, acting upon his proposition, the Board secured the services of Mr Loredan, a well-known actor, who stayed here for some time and, our readers know, such performances now form a chief feature on the Pier.
Mr Ross was also connected with the Hastings and St Leonards Steamboat Company, and at its first formation was a managing director, when the Lady Brassey was down here.
He was likewise connected with the Hastings Rowing Club, and was one of the best amateurs of his day. He won numerous cups, among which was one given by the Warden of the Cinque Ports. The Hastings Rowing Club was kept afloat through his energy and pecuniary support. One of the galleys now possessed by the Club is named Captain Ross, after him.
Mr Ross was an enthusiastic model yachtsman, and was commodore to the Clapham Model Yachting Club, subsequently becoming commodore of the Serpentine Model Yachting Club.
Mr Ross also took an active part in the formation of the Royal Naval Artillery Volunteers, and was offered the first commission of the Hastings Battery, but he did not see his way clear to accept it. He was connected with the force for some time, and attended the Royal Naval Review, held at Windsor some years back.
The Hastings Rowing Club have sent a handsome wreath, in the shape of an anchor, and a letter of condolence, and the flag at the Club House has been hoisted half-mast high. Mr J. C. Miller, as captain of the Rowing Club, has also sent a wreath.
7th November 1896
A few months ago mention was made in the local papers of the generous gifts made by Mrs Ross of Tudor House, to the Hastings Museum. And now, this openhearted, public-spirited lady has asked and received permission to erect a drinking trough at the Queens Road entrance to the Park. The want has been a long existing one.
General gratitude is due, and will be offered, to the generous souled donor. There is peculiar fitness in the fact that this enriching of the Museum with historic relics and the erection of a trough adjacent to the pleasure gardens should be the act of the widowed daughter in-law of the gentleman who, for more than a generation, was Hastings' chief and most trusted archaeologist and antiquarian, who worked most assiduously for the acquisition by the town of the land now known as Alexandra Park, and who lived for many years, and ultimately died, in a house overlooking the public gardens.
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 9.0.4, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2021